JOSEPH AND BARBARA FRITCELA NOVAK SHEBESTER
Joseph Shebester was born on March 19, 1855 in Prague, Bohemia. Joseph married Barbara Novak in 1878 in Saginaw, Saginaw County, Michigan. Barbara Fritcela Novak was born May 22, 1858 in Bohemia. Barbara's parents were Martin and Mary Thomasek Novak. Joseph immigrated to the United States in 1871 and Barbara immigrated to the United States in 1865 with her family.
Joseph and Barbara had the following children:
1. Ida Shebester was born November 17, 1879 in East Saginaw, Saginaw, Michigan. She married William J. Whelen on October 3, 1898 in Saginaw.
2. Rosetta “Rose” Shebester was born March 16, 1882 in East Saginaw, Saginaw, Michigan. She married Armand Cline on March 31, 1904 in Ithaca, Gratiot County, Michigan
3. Albeny Shebester was born January 1886 and married a man named Peter McAlpine.
4. Fred Shebester was born May 8, 1889 in Lakefield Township. He married Clara Leota Tester on November 7, 1912 in Saginaw, Saginaw County, Michigan.
5. Anna Kathleen Shebester was born November 14, 1894 in Lakefield Township. Anna married William London Baker on May 1, 1913.
6. Chauncey Joseph Shebester was born January 24, 1898 in Lakefield Township. Chauncey married Ruth Witschi in 1927.
In 1896, Joseph and Barbara owned and operated 80 acres on the NE corner of Merrill and Nelson Roads in Section 23 of Lakefield Township. In 1916 Joseph and Barbara's neighbors were: William Elson, John J. Novak, Ed Arman, C.A. Betz, B. Herbage, Ishmael Davis and A.G. Mayer.
Joseph was elected as the Lakefield Constable on April 4, 1898.
Barbara passed away on February 7, 1928 in Lakefield Township and Joseph passed away on April 15, 1935. They are both buried in the Lakefield Township Cemetery.
SOURCES: 1896 Lakefield Township Plat Map; Fred Shebester's birth record; Annie Shebester's birth record; Rosetta Shebester's marriage record; Ida Shebester's marriage record; Melvin Witschi records; Website Find-A-Grave; Fred Shebester's WWII draft record; Barbara Fritcela Novak Shebester's death record.
Pioneers of Lakefield Township - Left to Right: Jacob Brown, Lawrence Dubay, Alva Hinterman, David Dubay, Mr. Harris, George Easlick, Calvin Harris; Ray Rowell standing towards the top of photo and his daughters, Mildred, Dorothy, and Carrie Rowell, sitting on the wood pile. Carry Rowell later married Fred Honaman. photo from John and Linda Honaman Johnson.
So happy to finally have my site live. Looking forward to sharing my passions of the Early Pioneers of Lakefield Township