Fred Smith Watson was born on November 22, 1886 in Spaulding Township, Saginaw County, Michigan; he was the son of John and Charlotte Smith Watson. Fred married Rettie L. Johnson in Birch Run, Saginaw County, Michigan on February 10, 1909. Rettie was born December 3, 1886 in Tuscola County, Michigan; her parents were Stephen and Olive Stevens Johnson.
Fred and Rettie had nine children and they were:
Louis F. Watson was born November 22, 1909 in Tuscola County, Michigan. He passed away on August 25, 1992 and is buried in the Lakefield Township Cemetery.
Gladys Modelle Watson was born October 2, 1911 in Lakefield Township. She was a school teacher. Gladys passed away on August 30, 1938 of Brights Disease and is buried in the Lakefield Township Cemetery.
3. Norman E. Watson was born February 6, 1914 in Lakefield Township. He married Alice Rosewig. Norm passed away on May 25, 1983 and is buried in the Lakefield Township Cemetery.
4. Inez Watson was born May 17, 1915 in Lakefield Township and died at 20 days old. She is buried in the Lakefield Township Cemetery.
5. John Henry Watson in Lakefield Township was born in May 10, 1916. John married Donna Shannon.
6. Franklin James Watson was born January 26, 1918 in Lakefield Township. He married Laura M. Short. Franklin died on January 24, 1993 and is buried in the Roselawn Cemetery, Saginaw, Michigan.
7. Glen Albert Watson was born August 4, 1921 in Lakefield Township. He married Dorothy A. Smith. Glen passed away on January 15, 1996 and is buried in the Lakefield Township Cemetery.
8. Agnes Luella Watson was born on October 13, 1924 in Lakefield Township. She married Ernest Wirsing Jr.. Agnes passed away on May 8, 1973.
9. Floyd Richard Watson was born 6 June 1927. He married Donna Jean Rosewig on 12 June 1948. Floyd passed away on 4 October 2015 and is buried in the Lakefield Township Cemetery.
WATSON REUNION - (Lakefield Township Watson's and Hagerman's highlighted in red) L to R - STANDING: Louis F. Watson, Charles Godrey, Howard Frederick Hagerman, Fred Smith Watson, George W. Watson, John Hoare, John Henry Watson II, John Watson, Clarence P Watson, James Henry Watson.
MIDDLE ROW: Rettie John Watson, Frances (Mrs. James ) Watson, Elizabeth Watson Marr, Gladys Watson Marr Godlely with son Norman Godley, Helen Watson Hagerman, Minnie Watson Kamm, Juanita Sheets Watsons, Mrs. John Hoare, Carrie Beebe Watson.
FRONT ROW: Bernard Godley, Franklin J. Watson, Floyd R. Watson, Ruth Watson holding Violet Godne, Agnes L. Watson, Gladys M. Watson holding Dorothy Arlene Hagerman, Robert Hagerman, Ardath Elaine Hagerman, Ruth Watson holding Hattie Charlotte Hagerman, Glen A. Watson, David Godfrey, Howard William Hagerman.
Fred and Rettie moved to Lakefield Township in 1910. They owned and operated an 80 acre farm in Section 2 on the northeast corner of Swan Creek and Chapin Roads. Fred registered to vote in Lakefield Township on March 23, 1912. Rettie registered to vote on March 22, 1919 making her one of the early pioneer women to exhibit their great strength and character after the women's suffrage movement was partially passed in 1919. Fred was a member of the Merrill Mason Lodge #411, F & A M. Rettie belonged to the Lakefield Ladies Society, Merrill Congregational Church and its Mayflower Circle, the O.E.S. Merrill Chapter #295, and Rebekah Lodge #48.
Fred passed away on March 1, 1955 and Rettie on April 26, 1978. They are both buried in the Lakefield Township Cemetery.
SOURCES: 1916 Lakefield Township Plat Map; Lakefield Township Records; Fred, Rettie, Louie, Gladys, Norman, Franklin, Glen, and Agnes obituaries; Della Miller McKay's obituary collection; Floyd Watson, A. Elaine Hagerman Bye genealogy and Judy Plisek's genealogy and photos.
So happy to finally have my site live. Looking forward to sharing my passions of the Early Pioneers of Lakefield Township